Lots of dogs love Milk Bone treats, but have you ever actually read the ingredients on the side of the box? Most of them aren’t even pronounceable. They also add chicken fat mixed into the concoction making it a no-go for many dogs.
I made these as my first treats ever for Ginny years ago, she loved them. I made so many of them I gave some too my friends who had dogs too. They are super cute sitting in a jar on the counter an make a great quick present too. With this recipe you likely have most of the ingredients sitting in your cupboard, I personally use beef broth due to George’s allergies but either chicken, beef or vegetable will work. Any small cookie cutter will work, I made my first ones with a heart one but later I got this bone cookie cutter.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup powdered milk
- 1 egg
TO MAKE HOMEMADE MILK BONES
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk together wet ingredients well, stir in dry ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Knead dough for 2-3 minutes. Roll out onto a floured surface to a 1/4” to 1/2” thickness.
- Cut into dog bone shapes. Place on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from pan and allow them to cool completely- they will dry very hard.
Store in an airtight container. The recipe makes about two dozen depending on the size, I can usually squeeze about 26 bones from the one batch.